Monday, November 12, 2018

Website user testing checklist in 2018

I've been pondering a lot recently about my method. It's unusual that we sit down and try to map out what we know, although experience is a powerful point.
While it is portion of my offerings that were compensated, I've decided to discuss this checklist. A couple of disclaimers: First, I really don't claim this list is special or extensive. Jakob Nielsen has a great 113-point checklist in his book, Homepage Usability, for instance. This is my way of arranging what I think is crucial while trying to keep it manageable. My use of terms may vary from yours. I use "usability" in an extremely broad sense, and my use of "accessibility" isn't quite industry-standard. Don't like it? Write your own checklist ;) Lastly, an advance warning that this post is pretty long.
Basic Overview
The listing is split into 4 approximately equal sections, (I) Accessibility, (II) Identification, (III) Navigation, and (IV) Content. I will describe and rationalize all the sections and line things below, but you could download the checklist as a simple, 1-page PDF.
I try to keep it easy with 3 fundamental ratings: (1) Green Check Always = Great/Pass, (2) Red Check = Wants function, but no disaster, (3) Red X = Negative/Fail. Not all points are necessarily relevant to all sites.

Load -time Is Reasonable

Call me old-school, but I still want to view sites come in less than 100KB (60KB is even better). Most people will just abandon, if your site requires for ever to load. Yes, a number people have broad Band now, but that makes our endurance thinner.

Clear Way To to Con-Tact Information

Similarly, visitors want to know they can get in contact with you if they need to. It's also hard to do business if you can not be contacted by any one. Preferably, list your con-Tact information as text (not in an image) - it will get acquired by search engines, including local queries.

Tagline Makes Company's Goal Clear

Answer "What would you do?" concisely with a descriptive tag-line. Avoid advertising boil your worth proposition that is distinctive down to a few words and jargon. This can be also a-plus for Search Engine Optimization.

Ads & pop ups Are Unobtrusive

Ads are a truth of lifestyle, but integrate them properly into your website. Don't try to pressure ads and pop ups down peoples' throats. Also, do a favor to folks and make your advertisements clear. If you blur the line between advertisements and content also significantly, your content may endure.

Company Emblem Is Prominently Placed

Put your logo or manufacturer where it is simple to find, and that usually means the upper- . People expect it, and they like it when you make their lives effortless.

No comments:

Post a Comment